Anything, including your own fists, can be lethal personal protective devices, so here we will differentiate between lethal and less-lethal self-defense devices. Less-lethal weapons include stun guns, pepper spray, kubotans, and tasers. These methods of self-defense are meant to help protect women avoid being attacked. Lethal weapons are those that are intended to be fatal, including guns and knives. Join us in today’s post as we discuss some of the reasons that less-lethal self-defense weapons are preferred to lethal options.
It is important to note that you should only use any weapon in a situation where it is justified.
1. More likely to be used.Many women who have not had proper training are hesitant to use weapons against other people, including those attempting to harm them. Non-lethal weapons offer even the most timid women the ability to feel confident in using the weapon to protect themselves.
2. Fewer restrictions.Federal law and most state laws have fewer restrictions on less-lethal weapon options including who can buy, carry, or use them. Additionally, more places allow you to carry non-lethal options, even where weapons are not permitted. Permits and licenses are not required to purchase or carry stun guns and pepper spray, so arm yourself!
3. Non-lethal or less-lethal.Even in a life or death situation, many people are not willing to retaliate with means that may take the life of the perpetrator. Non-lethal weapons offer the ability to incapacitate your aggressor so that you have time to get away, without the guilt of taking a life. The goal isn’t to win the fight, it’s to survive.
4. Less training required.The use of lethal weapons requires training before it can be used. For some people, it can take hours of practice and training with trainers to hone the skills necessary to safely use the weapon. With less-lethal weapons, the training is minimal and can be done from home. Most of the training required is simply familiarizing yourself with your new self-defense device.
5. Affordable.Concealable lethal weapons can cost 400 to 1,000 dollars on the less expensive end. While your life is worth far more than that, price is often a deterrent for women to purchase a personal protective device. Non-lethal weapons are much more affordable. For instance, at Code Black, we offer stun guns as affordable as $20 and concealable options for $30! At these prices, you can’t afford not to be armed!
Lethal weapons are designed for one function and one function only — killing. Many less-lethal self-defense weapons are multi-purpose and multi-functional. For instance, many stun guns also have a flashlight and most keychain weapons can double as a window breaker in the event of an emergency where you are trapped in your car.