So, you’ve purchased a stun gun for personal protection, congratulations! You are now one of millions of American women who are fighting back and actively avoiding becoming a statistic! Purchasing your stun gun is the first step toward arming yourself with this highly-effective non-lethal self-defense equipment, now you just need to learn the ropes of putting it to use!
Join us in today’s post as we discuss some tips to using your stun gun for personal protection. At Code Black Security, our mission is to arm every woman with the personal protection devices she needs to lead a confident life, free from harm. We feel that it is our responsibility to offer some insight on how to safely and effectively use our products. So, let’s get to it.
1. Own a stun gun.If you are reading this, chances are you can check number one off of this list. But, perhaps you are interested in knowing more and do not yet own a stun gun. If you do not already have a stun gun of your own, browse our online stun gun collection and find one that suits you. We offer safe grip stun guns that are effective and easy to handle and compact stun guns that are disguised as perfume.
2. Familiarize yourself.Once you have your stun gun, it is time to get to know it. Spend some time reading your owner’s manual and learning about all of the features of your stun gun. Know what each of the buttons does and where the safety mechanisms are. Activate the stunning mechanism to get a feel for what it sounds and feels like. It is a good idea to practice accessing it as you would when you are out and about. For instance, if you plan to carry it in your purse, put your stun gun in your purse, carry your purse like you normally do, and then retrieve and activate it. Practice does not make perfect, but it does reduce panic.
3. Carry it, accessibly.What good is a stun gun in the box at home? It isn’t! To use your stun gun effectively, you have to carry it and have easy access to it. We get it, life happens. However, your stun gun is not something that should be at the bottom of your purse, under your seat in the car, or tucked safely in your backpack. You should have quick access and be able to engage your stun gun in a matter of seconds. Your situation may dictate where and how you carry your stun gun, but just like your keys and phone, you should always be thinking about where it goes and whether you have access to it.
4. Don’t be afraid to use it.When you find yourself in a situation that warrants it, do not hesitate to use your stun gun! One of the biggest barriers to deploying a stun gun is the carrier being “too nice” or “too afraid” to use it. Remember that when you chose a stun gun, you chose a non-lethal self-defense weapon that will only incapacitate an aggressor momentarily. Don’t be afraid to subdue a perpetrator with your stun gun, they will recover. If you don’t use it, you may never will.
5. Keep it in good working condition.As with anything in life, the secret to keeping something effective, it must be maintained. If you want your stun gun to protect you when you call on it, make sure you keep it in good working condition. Keep it free from debris that may interfere with the electrical current. If it has a case, keep it covered. Make sure to check its function regularly and either charge it or replace the batteries regularly.
6. Stun and run.A stun gun is an excellent choice as far as non-lethal self-defense weapons are concerned. However, like all non-lethal options, the goal of a stun gun is to incapacitate an aggressor long enough to allow you to get away. One of the best things that you can do is to effectively stun a perpetrator, maintaining contact until they hit the ground, and then RUN. Do not hesitate, get out of danger’s path.
7. Learn maximum effective areas.Trust us, the stun gun will work wherever you use it, but there are areas that maximize effectiveness. In the moment of panic, make contact wherever you can. However, if you can remember some body parts including the inguinal joint (where the leg attaches to the body) or any of the major muscles, especially those a perpetrator will use to attack you — pecs, biceps, quads — will have a bigger impact than say, the wrist.
8. It is not a toy.Your stun gun is not a toy and should be treated as the weapon that it is. You should not spend battery power or electrical current shocking your friends or yourself. It should not be left where children can access it, and it should not be used on anyone or anything other than a potential attacker.
9. Keep it concealed.
There is no self-defense tactic that is more effective than the element of surprise. While you may think that confidently displaying your stun gun is a warning to attackers that may thwart any ill-intentions, all it really does is gives them the heads up. When they know where it is and what to anticipate, they can effectively mitigate the risk, or at least anticipate it. Keep your stun gun concealed and do not announce it, that way, they will never see it coming, making it all that more effective.
If you are ready to use a stun gun to keep yourself safe, browse our entire line of stun guns in our online self-defense shop for women. At Code Black Security, we believe that every woman deserves to be armed with the protection she needs to be safe. After all, preparation is protection. Browse our entire collection of stun guns and other non-lethal self-defense weapons for women online today.